Monday, February 3, 2020

Greetings from Australia!

Postcards from the edge. The end days.

I work on postcards much of the time. Travel drawings, and printmaking in the Gillies Ridge studio. Recently I created stencil shadows (empty space) using the shards of bark from the spotted gums around the studio. They look, serendipitously, like falling ash.

I can feel it in my mouth.

I created an artwork for the Royal Queensland Art Society exhibition this month, Journeys in Artuntil 24 February at the Petrie Terrace Gallery.


Greetings from Australia!
card, spray acrylic on paper, 
on (found) postcard stand























_________________________________________

Artist statement

I create works on paper, postcard size, which recognise small and inherently superficial impressions captured on-the-move. 

This summer I was home in Australia, but the experience was totally foreign. The country burned. In my studio, next to the blackened national park,  I printed and painted with ash. 
The series of prints used in this installation are based on fragments of flaked bark from local spotted gums. They float like ashes through dark times, and I offer them as a response and a warning. 

Greetings from Australia! 

1 comment: